Nobody wants to be stuck in the kitchen all day instead of at the party. These recipes are designed to pre-make, then share — buffet style.
Herb-Crusted Ham with Pomegranate
- 5kg leg of ham
- Seeds of 1 pomegranate, to serve
- 3 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- 3 tbsp honey
- Tahini dressing
- 350g unhulled tahini
- 100ml lemon juice
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 very large handfuls of coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 2 large handfuls of flat-leaf parsley leaves, finely chopped
- 2 long red chillies, finely chopped (optional)
- 200g walnuts (activated if possible),
toasted and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp sumac
Preheat the oven to 160°C. To prepare the ham, lift off and discard the skin. Score a diamond pattern into the fat (this allows the flavours of the glaze to penetrate the meat).
To make the glaze, combine the pomegranate molasses and honey with 3 tbsp of water and mix well. Using a pastry brush, spread just enough glaze over the ham to cover. Reserve the remaining glaze for basting.
Place the ham in a roasting tin and pour in water to a depth of 2cm. Bake for 1–1½ hours, basting with the reserved glaze from time to time (loosely cover with foil if it begins to burn). Remove from the oven, cover with foil and set aside in a warm place to rest for 15 minutes.
To make the tahini dressing, place all the ingredients in a food processor, add 240ml of water and process to form a thick sauce. To make the herb crust, combine all the ingredients in a bowl.
Transfer the ham to a large serving platter. Spread the tahini dressing on top, cover with the herb crust and sprinkle on the pomegranate seeds. Slice the ham and serve with a salad.
For more easy entertaining recipes, click on the links below.
- Herb-crusted ham with pomegranate
- Roasted shellfish platter
- Figs with burrata and prosciutto
- Watermelon and pomegranate salad with whipped feta
- Salmon-wrapped asparagus with avocado toasts
- Rosewater and lemon ricotta cheesecake
- Raspberry cheesecake fingers
- Avocado chocolate mousse